You do not need to be a Temple student to participate in one of our study away programs. We would love to have you! Here are a few things that will help you along the way.
Temple’s LA Study Away Program offers 5 classes in addition to your internship.
- LA Industry Perspectives
- LA Plays Itself
- LA Culture
- Acting and Directing Workshop
- Music in Film (Dependent on enrollment)
- Typically, you will take 2-3 of these classes along with the internship.
- Every semester our students are offered internships at every level of the industry.
- We’ve had students work at:
- Adult Swim
- Dr. Phil
Students are housed in Toluca Hills at the Avalon Bay Apartments.
- Each two-bedroom apartment houses four students, comes fully furnished, and includes internet and cable TV.
- Students frequently organize group trips, adventures, and excursions.
- Whether it's climbing to the Hollywood sign, hiking to Sweitzer falls, checking out Griffith Park, or camping in Malibu, exploring the area in and around Los Angeles is an important part of the study away experience.
- Apply to our program using our online application form.
- As you do not have a Temple ID, please use the last four digits of your social security number instead.
- At least one of your references should be from an instructor who can speak to your academic performance.
Temple E-mail Account and ID:
- Once you have been accepted into the program, our office will reach out to you for your full SSN#. We need this to make you an official student in our Temple University system.
- Once confirmed, we will e-mail you your new Temple identification number (TUid#).
- TUportal is the online interface through which you will have access to your personal information including:
- Course roster
- Tuition bill
- Course communication via BlackBoard
- Only when you have been registered for classes will you be able to log into TUportal using your TUid#.
- To create your TUportal account, please visit the AccessNet Account Activation page.
- If you are applying financial aid to your time away, you must meet with Student Financial Services at your home institution first.
- Determine whether your school participates in the Consortium Agreement (This document is like a handshake between your school and Temple, and will allow for successful transfer of your financial aid), whether you will need to pay Temple directly for your bill, or whether you will continue to pay your home institution.
- If you are using the consortium agreement, complete your portion, scan the form and send to email@example.com to obtain Temple University signature. The completed form will then be sent back to you. (You should do this at least one month in advance of the program beginning).
- If you need official enrollment verification of your time at Temple, please visit Self Service Enrollment Verification. (If you are looking for enrollment verification for your internship, please request this of Amy Olk).
- If you are awarded an LA Study Away Scholarship, this will be added as a credit to your Temple University tuition bill. Please note that awards will not appear until after you have been registered for classes.
Program Information Meetings:
- The program holds one to two orientation meetings prior to departure. While these sessions are mandatory, we understand that in some circumstances distance can make attendance impossible. In these cases please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We can Skype you in, send you pdf information, and/or speak with you on the phone.
- Shortly after the final application deadline each semester, you will receive an e-mail with a course selection form attached.
- Please thoroughly read our class descriptions here.
- You are eligible for all courses, but we strongly encourage you to speak with your academic advisor to determine which classes best suit your interests and needs.
- After the successful completion of your Temple University classes, you may request a copy of your transcript through your TUportal.
- If you no longer have access to TUportal, transcripts can be requested electronically through Temple's online service found here.